Sunday, August 23, 2009

Lil' Loupes






















Early last spring when I stuck the seeds for Lil ’Loupe in peat pots and put them in the sunny south facing window of my garden shed I didn’t know what to expect. I had never grown this melon before but the description in Territorial Seed Company’s catalog intrigued me. It was described as single-serving sized with firm, sweet, bright orange flesh that packs full-size flavor.

The seeds took off quickly and the seedlings did so well that I didn’t have room in my garden to plant all of them so I gave a couple plants away. Once planted in the garden the vines took off twining and producing little yellow blossoms that first turned into tiny melons the size of my index finger nail and then into melons the size of a large grapefruit at maturity.





















I have been picking one to three a week for a few weeks now. The catalog was right. They are firm and juicy and their deep peachy-orange flesh is very sweet. They are the perfect size to fit in the refrigerator and eat half for breakfast or lunch, which is what I have been doing. If I am lucky and the vines stay healthy I might just have Lil’ Loupes through September.

















I have the same theory for cantaloupes as I have for watermelons. Pick them ripe from the vine, refrigerate them until they are cold, and the only other thing you need is a spoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment